Tuesday, February 4, 2014

January Favourites

It's January.  Blink.  It's February.

This is what I remember the month of January being like. It's flown by and I cannot believe that I am already used to writing 2014 in my work diary everyday. It has been challenging to keep smiling and happy in the face of blustery arctic winds and constant snow but I managed somehow. February is usually the coldest month of the year historically, as you can probably tell I'm anxious about how bad this month is going to be.

Let's start talking about happy fun things.. before the mood of this post gets too dark :)

This month we have a mixture of makeup and skincare as well as a candle.

NEOM candles have stolen my heart and this one is called Happiness. It's a gorgeous blend of Neroli oil, Mimosa and Lemon. If you read my blog regularly then you'll know that I love these natural candles and I am steadily burning my way through all of their different scents. Currently this one is my FAV. It's a gorgeously relaxing scent - nothing too intense or hectic. I like it a lot and I love that NEOM candles burn without any soot or smoke so doesn't matter if I place mine under a handing light fixture :) These things matter to me.. Anyway you can read more about NEOM candles etc. on my detailed post here.

Stila Countless Color Pigments
Stila Countless Color Pigments

Lets do makeup next. I recently posted a 'Face of the Week' post with my face (obv) in makeup that I have been using and I had intended to show how the Stila Countless Color Pigments in Finale looked on me but I took the picture in natural light by the window (generally the best place to take photos) and it totally washed out the blush colour!! So you couldn't see it at all.. never mind. I have included a swatch below that might help. All I can say that a little goes a long way as this stuff is P.I.G.M.E.N.T.E.D and stays put all day too. Yay! I love when products do well. The way these pigments are manufactured, each pigment of each shade looks different, some might have more pink some might be more yellow others might contain way more red. I got lucky as there was just one of these left on the shelves at my local Nordstrom Rack so I didn't get to choose my combination but I love the effect, it's an amazing blush colour and all for $4.40 in sale.

Collection Extreme 24 Hr Felt Tip Liner

I have been really into wearing liquid eye liner again. Don't get too excited though as I still really suck at flicks and wings and all that but I am quite good at edging my lashes and things are made really simple with the liner does everything for you. I received the Collection Extreme 24 Hr Felt Tip Liner in Black in a UK/US swap that I did last year but I wasn't too keen on liquid liner then so I never got round to trying it until this year. I had never used a felt tip liner (looks and works like a Sharpie) before and I am kicking myself now because it's just so easy! If you are a novice at eye-lining or just in a rush in the mornings and want to keep makeup easy and simple, I'd really recommend trying this liner (if it's available) or at least trying a felt tip liner. Swatches are at the end of this post.

Maybelline Color Elixir Lip Color
Maybelline Color Elixir Lip Color

Maybelline released a new product line late last year called Color Elixir Lip Color - basically a liquid lipstick right? Wrong! These claim to be and are the texture of a thick gloss (not gloopy though), with the pigmentation of a lipstick and are nourishing and hydrating like a lip balm. I truly love these. They are currently released in 20 shades and the one I have here is called Captivating Carnation and it's the most beautiful colour. I seriously have to stop myself from looking at my lips in a mirror whenever I have this shade on my lips. They look so juicy and feel so hydrated. These lip colours are not long lasting though, mine wear off in about 3 hours if I don't eat or drink. I am going to buy a few more shades as I really like these for everyday wear.

Swatches:

Bobbi Brown's Hydrating Face Cream

I recently discovered Bobbi Brown's skincare and I am currently swearing by the hydrating properties of the Bobbi Brown's Hydrating Face Cream, it promises to be a cream that I will keep coming back to. You can read more details about this cream in my post here.

Caudalie Grape Water
Caudalie Vinosource SOS Thirst Quenching Serum

The Caudalie's Grape Water and the Caudalie Vinosource SOS Thirst Quenching Serum were recently reviewed here. I am currently loving anything Caudalie these days... their products hit the right balance between great ingredients and an accessible price tag.

Fab Pore Hot Cloth Cleanser

My first foray into the confusing land of cleansing balms has left me impressed. I wanted to buy something that would allow me to test the concept for myself without breaking the bank (these cleansing balms can be mighty expensive - I'm looking at you Eve Lom and Emma Hardie), but Soap & Glory's version called the Fab Pore Hot Cloth Cleanser is a very reasonable $10 for 100 ml. I have been using this product for the last 2 months and I am only half way through it. I love the no fuss tube packaging and also comes with a muslin cloth. I must warn that this product contains essential oils and is scented.

2 comments :

  1. Fab post! I love the sound of the Soap and Glory hot cloth cleanser, I am a fan of their range, so glad we can get it in London too :)

    Josie xoxo

    Fashion Mumblr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting and commenting!! I love S&G too.. slowly trying out all of their products :)

    ReplyDelete

type='text/javascript'/>