Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Guest Post - Skincare for runners

Hi everyone,

I had introduced Vikki, my guest author of the month, in a previous post which you can read here. This is her  post. Happy readings!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi! 

I’m Vikki and I’m a runner. I took up running about 8 years ago and haven’t really stopped since. I love what it does for my body and complexion and while much has been written about the benefits of looking after your body on the inside through stretching, massage and what you eat, it's also important to look after it on the outside. So today I’m going to share my skincare routine and favourite products with you.
I used to be quite prone to spots in my early twenties and my skin was just kinda… dull. I’ve always eaten quite healthily, having been a vegetarian since the age of 10, but it wasn’t until I started running that my complexion really improved. I blame the increase in circulation and vitamin D from running outside! But sport, particularly running, and especially running outside takes its toll on the skin so you have to give something back.

Most of my running is done outside and as I’m not a fair weather runner I’m exposed to sun, wind, rain and hail which means I need to protect against UVA and UVB as well as dryness from cold and wet.

My cleansing routine in the morning isn’t anything special but I take care with my moisturising. In the summer I use a cream with a high SPF like Clinique’s Youth Surge (£42 for 50ml but often in their gifts). I like the consistency, quite heavy but easily absorbed.

In the winter I switch to something heavier like No7 Protect & Perfect Day Cream (£22 for 50ml) which still has an SPF in it. I use Molton Brown’s Lipsaver (£12 for 15ml) all year round. I have one that’s SPF8 and one that’s SPF15. I prefer the consistency to glosses or Vaseline when I’m active and this isn’t too claggy. It also has great staying power.

I have started using a serum to give an extra moisture boost. I’m currently trying out  Body Shop’s Vitamin E Serum which is lovely and light, easily absorbed and a good price (£11 for 30ml).

I often run without any makeup on at all but if I wear anything it’s usually waterproof mascara. If I use a regular one I end up with black streaks down my face from sweating and it’s not pleasant for anyone. I use Body Shop’s Waterproof Mascara (£10 for 8ml), which does not budge at all for me.

At the end of the day I use Johnson’s Baby Oil to shift my eyemake up. It’s the only thing that doesn’t irritate my eyes, is super effective and very cheap – a little goes a long way! I then use Neal’s Yard Orange Flower Water (£15.50 for 200ml) to shift the rest of the grime and tone before using a serum again.

Also, as a runner, my feet take a lot of pounding so I give them a little TLC too. I use a foot file regularly but also use Bath & Body Works’ Cracked Heel Treatment ($15 for 4oz) two or three times a week all over my feet before bed. I fell in love with this product years back and it’s the one thing I ask for if people visit the States. It’s not too thick, is absorbed really quickly and doesn’t have any greasy residue, or much in the way of a fragrance for that matter. Again a little goes a long way.

Thanks so much to Shruti for letting me guest blog for you today. I hope you enjoyed it. What products do you use at the gym or for your sport of choice?

0 comments :

Post a Comment

type='text/javascript'/>